I took these bars to Maryns house this morning and they were a hit, I brought some home and even Brian liked them! I will definitly be making these again. Next time I might try substituting some whole wheat flour in just to make it a little healthier :).
Caramel Oat Bars
40 individually wrapped caramels, unwrapped
8 tablespoons heavy cream
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 cups minute rolled oats
1 1/2 cups brown sugar
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup butter, melted
1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In a medium saucepan over low heat, melt together the caramels and heavy cream, stirring occasionally until smooth (This takes a while).
2. Line a 9x13 baking dish with aluminum foil.
3. In a medium bowl, stir together the flour, oats, brown sugar, baking soda and salt. Stir in the melted butter until well blended. Press Half of the mixture into the bottom of a 9x13 inch baking pan. Reserve the rest.
4. Bake the crust for 10 minutes in the preheated oven.
5. Remove and sprinkle with chocolate chips.
6. Pour the caramel mixture over the top
7. Add the remaining flour mixture. Press down mixture with the back of a wooden spoon to flatten down top layer
8. Return to the oven and bake for an additional 20-25 minutes, or until the top is lightly toasted.
9. Let bars cool before cutting.
This recipe was adapted from the Caramel Bars Recipe on Allrecipes.com
15 hours ago