This recipe is really just my spin of the Italian Meatloaf recipe found in the Deceptively Delicious Cookbook by Jessica Seinfeld. Deceptively Delicious is still my favorite cookbook!
Melissa Goodfellow this recipe is for you!
Caramelized Onion Meatloaf
3/4 cup garlic and herb seasoned bread crumbs
1/4 cup wheat germ
1/2 cup skim milk
2 tbsp olive oil
1 onion finely chopped
3 stalks of celery finely chopped
1 pound lean ground turkey
1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
1 cup carrot puree
1/4 cup ketchup
Ketchup for covering top of meatloaf
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line a baking sheet with foil.
2. In a bowl soak the breadcrumbs and wheat germ in milk.
3. Place skillet over medium heat. Once the skillet is hot add olive oil and onions to the pan. Cook the onions stirring often until caramelized. They should look like this: Add celery to pan and continue to cook for 7-10 more minutes.
4. Combine breadcrumb mixture, onion mixture, turkey, parmesan, carrot puree, ketchup, salt, and pepper. I use my hands to get it nice and combined.
5. Place mixture on baking sheet and form into a loaf shape. Once loaf shape is formed coat surface with ketchup.
6. Bake for 50 minutes.
Baking this meatloaf on a baking sheet rather than a loaf pan this another way to cut the fat in this recipe because it allows the fat to drain off rather than stay in the loaf pan with the meat loaf. Feel free to use a loaf pan though!
Wheat Germ is a really great source for vitamin E and folic acid. If you don't have any on hand just replace with more breadcrumbs.
I always serve meatloaf with mashed potatoes and peas! It just has to be that way!
1 day ago